This firmware modifies the behavior of the drive to wait longer before positioning the heads in their park position and turning off unnecessary electronics. This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.
CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than what is listed above. Please make sure that the computer system is not turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard drive beyond repair and your data may be lost.
- Important: Please ensure that any important data is backed up from the hard drive and that the drive is removed from the RAID array (the array is offline) before updating the firmware.
- Download the wdidle3_1_05 file containing the firmware for the update.
- Extract wdidle3.exe onto a bootable medium (floppy, CD-RW, network drive, etc.).
- Boot the system with the hard drive to be updated to the medium where the update file was extracted to.
- Run the file by typing wdidle3.exe at the command prompt and press enter.
- The software will scan the Serial ATA bus and automatically update the hard drive that is connected and recognized. It may take up to two minutes to update the firmware of the hard drive.
Critical: Please make sure that the computer system is not turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard drive beyond repair and your data may be lost.
- Once completed, a message will be displayed that the firmware has been updated. Once this message is displayed, remove your boot media and reboot your system.
Note: If you are having issues updating the firmware of a drive connected to a PCI Serial ATA controller or Serial ATA RAID controller, please install the drive into a system with Serial ATA connections directly on the motherboard (Onboard Serial ATA controller) and try again.